Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Music Education - Band: Do we have it right?

I have been thinking for a while now about this topic so I thought I would open it up a bit. This might be an ongoing topic for a while but it won't work if others don't chime in with their thoughts so feel free to post comments if you like. Just try to stay with the topics and keep to the facts. Maybe we can get somewhere. Here we go! The first big question. Do we have our set up for classes correct?
I teach 3 full band classes, a percussion class, and music theory too. In addition, I administrate the marching band, colorguard, and anything else band related at a large 5A high school. My question is this. Is the set up of the regular band classes the most conducive way in which to teach instrumental music students? I teach all instruments in my three band class simultaneously. Or do I? My classes are set up by level, theoretically any way. Meaning I have a top band of the most advanced students, another level down of lesser experienced students, and a band class of even less skilled students. In theory this sounds good. I have doubts as to my ability, or anybodies, to teach all the instruments at a high level in a class such as these. It is not a secret that what band directors do is difficult. If you think to chorus or orchestra, most of the time they are teaching 4 different parts but they are all really on the same type of instrument. I have brass, woodwinds, and percussion all in one. Even with this they are all very different. The brass has trombones, horns, euphoniums, and tubas. These all have their own issues and need special attention. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the horns alone, the trombones alone, the trumpets alone, and perhaps have the euphoniums and tubas together? Then some real education could happen. The problem is that when I start explaining alternate slide positions to the trombones much of the information may be interesting to the other brass players but not really relevant. Are you starting to get it? What about the poor clarinet players which are now thinking about slide positions? I have a plan for this and a possible solution too but I would like to hear your comments first. So go for it? What do you think?
I plan to elaborate on many topics about band education so stay with this topic for now and I hope to get to more soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Cory Dover said...

Hey John! Remember me? Long time, I know. Any way, since we graduated, I taught orchestra for 8 years, general music a few years, direct a 50 member band at UNCC, and currently teach middle school chorus. I gotta say, chorus is a monster. I have 350 kids every day (6 classes) and an early bird honors group. The instrument is not the same in chorus. It is different with each student. Even more so during allergy season. And the middle school boy's changing voice only proves GOD has a sense of humor. Teaching them to pull pitches out of thin air is a daunting task. I can spend an hour working with altos, only to have them knocked off their part when they hear sopranos or tenors join in. It's like playing vocal King-of-the-Mountain. When I teach band, at least I can teach tone deaf where to put there fingers and go with it. I can't just pick a level appropriate chart. I have to know how many of my guys can sing this low or high without sounding like a gurgle or a cat too close to the rocking chair. And general music? Some of my younger students would pee in class! I'm not trying to bust your chops. Having done all of this has only taught me that all fine arts educators have it hard. I will not teach marching band for the reasons you described. No one outside the arts knows what we go through. Don't get me wrong. I love what I do. What a challenge! It kills me when people say "Wow, they are so talented". I want to say..."no, they worked their butts off!" We arts educators need to pull together and save what we do because we see the value in it. I'm sure you are a heck of a band director. You were quite the musician back at Winthrop. BTW, do you remember driving my car through the leaves in that neighborhood? I remember you fighting a trash can...and losing! I'll stop here. I hope things go well, and I hope others post comments. Are you going to convention this week? I'll be there. Hope to see you. Take care, John!

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Brian Wis said...

Just found your blog today and added to my Google Reader. Mine is at http://teachingmusic.posterous.com. Always great to find another bd who is blogging. Also, if you haven't join us on facebook, please do. Almost 1,400 of us now, and we love to discuss questions like this latest post.

Brian

7:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think I would know where to start! As a string player who literally squeaked through brass and woodwind method classes, I am in awe every time I see a beginning band concert where everyone is blowing into the right end.

I teach orchestra at an El Sistema-infused elementary school, where we are fortunate enough to have homogenous instrument technique classes built into the week, in addition to symphonic ensembles.

That said, students are still at different levels, and there are aspects of technique which are so personal to teach that it is difficult to teach effectively in large groups. We have had a lot of success with structured peer mentoring, both between the older grades and younger grades and within same grade levels. On Friday afternoons, students spread out to every corner of the school with a musical goal they must accomplish together, and teachers are able to float around and answer questions and check progress.

Student led sectionals can be another adaptation of this if you have the space and at least one student in each section you can count on to lead it effectively.

I am eager to hear your solution!

-Levi C.
http://www.levicomstock.com/experiments-in-education.html

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home