Thursday, January 20, 2011

Don't Tell But Band Class Can Be Fun


Both Tuesday and today, Mr. Younglove has come to work with the Symphonic Band woodwinds. We are so fortunate to have him be willing and able to come work with us. This means I get to have the brass to myself. Most of the students in this class have never had the chance to work with me on a smaller ensemble basis. We make two shallow arches and work on music. It is nice to be able to talk about just brass but most of all it is nice to be able to relax a bit. You may or may not know when you work with a larger group in a rehearsal setting it has to be strict. Most teachers complain about a class of 25 or more. I often teach over 100 at the same time. If you aren't strict and regimented, it can get crazy quickly! Well anyway back to sectionals. I get to sit down and relax a bit with the students. We have probably accomplished more in the last two sectionals then we could have with a full ensemble in 5 rehearsals. There is nothing better than a little bit of personal attention. It reminds me of my first 8th grade band class, I think there were 11 of us! They sat in an arch and we all played for each other. I don't think I ever taught better. I wonder if those kids remember that as much as I do.

P.S. If the brass haven't learned anything else over the last two rehearsals, I bet they will will check the sandbox well before they play in it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home