Friday, December 10, 2010

Exam Time!

"What? We have an exam for band!" Yep, you bet you do! Many band directors just use the Winter concert as the exam for band. Of course my students do get a grade for performances such as concert but I also give a legitimate playing exam. My students are required to play the region/all state solo for their level and play the appropriate scale for their level too. They have to fill out an exam sheet and play all this for me individually. They are scored as to whether the scales are correct and they are scored on correct notes and rhythms, tone, and expression on the etude. Some may say this is a bit much for an "elective" class. ( Most of you know how I feel about that though. It is kind of like "electing" to be human...but any way...) At first, I did this exam so I could help my students that were auditioning for region/all state band but now it has turned into something more. It gives the students skills they can actually use in my class. It also gives them something structured in which to practice. One thing is for sure too, there are no "give me's" in the world so working towards and obtaining a goal is just a good practice for any student.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sarina said...

It may be odd but I always liked having these band exams. Being able to perform the region/All state solo before the actual audition definitely was a confidence boost and helped me realize how to improve the solo. But now I just have juries every semester... those are definitely interesting to do.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home