Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pearl Jam and Politics


Pearl Jam was great. It was one of the best shows I have been to and I have been to some big ones. I was surprised at the level of interaction that Eddie Vedder had with the crowd. You just never know what you are going to get. I have been to shows where the band just plays and you never hear them speak. Not only was the show entertaining it was long. They played for about three hours and in this day that is almost unheard of. It was not a show for the casual fan though. I have listened to Pearl Jam since the early 90's and even I didn't know all the songs. To me Pearl Jam is alternative music, not Nirvana who usually gets the nod to this label. I never really cared too much for Nirvana. To depressing for me I guess. If I wanted to be depressed in college I would have just went to the bank and checked my balance! Not only did I and still do like Pearl Jam's lyrics better than Nirvana, their playing skills are far superior. Only Dave Grohl, now the front of the Foo Fighters, really impressed me. It is no wonder that I also like the Foo Fighters. One of the most impressive things about the show is the fact that Eddie and the rest of band don't seem to have lost a step through the years. Energy would be a good way to describe that show. From beginning to end they were full of energy.


Vedder did take time to share his political views and I knew he would. It was disappointing to hear some boos from the crowd but I was not one of them. I think it is great that he shares his views. Isn't that part of what America is about? It really doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with him, I felt he deserved my respect. I have often told my students you don't have to like me but you do have to respect me and what I do. I don't share my political views with my students as I do not feel that is my place in the career I have. I think it is great for somebody like Eddie Vedder to use his stardom to at least make people aware of his causes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home