Thursday, June 05, 2008

Marching Band Show Update




As I have new readers, I thought you may want to know the status of the show. The students have music or can pick it up in the band room. Also, we are in the process of making a "members only" section on the band website where students will be able to enter a username and a password and print their own music. This will be great for lost music as well. When I student needs more, they will simply go to the website and print it off. The band staff and I are now in the process of writing drill. This takes more work than it sounds. Not only do we have to come up with accurate numbers for each section, we have to determine things like where we want guard features, what spacing the battery will have, where we want holds (there will not be many), how many rifles or if we want rifles, and when all this stuff will take place musically. I have learned the hard way to make sure all of these things are correct or we can lose a lot of time and spend a lot of energy "fixing" them at band camp or even later. Although the total number of member will be down a bit for the band from late year, I feel strongly the quality will be up. We lost a lot of great seniors too. There are many ways to stage the band so that numbers will not be an issue. I would much rather have 115 students that are really into it rather have 150 students and have 115 that are really into it. The next step after the drill writing is the colorguard choreography. Then we should be ready to go as far as paper that is. The scary thing is that the show is just a bunch of paper without dedicated students, staff, and parents to put it all together. I don't think we are going have a problem with that though!
As for me, I went fishing today. I did catch a few and brought two home to eat. One was about 7 pounds and the other was about 5. It was nice on the water but hot pretty quickly.

Although I do a bunch of work over the summer, June has always been my month of fun. I don't keep regular office hours in June as my wife and I travel a good bit and I just hang out recharging for another year of band. I think I deserve it after working any where from 60 to 85 hours a week during the school year. It is nice to work on my schedule during this time. Sometimes I wake up at night and work on the show. Sometimes I just practice my horn a bit. Sometimes I make phone calls about the show from my boat. My thoughts are never too far from band but in June it just happens on my schedule. I hope everybody finds a way to stay cool today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey mr brady,
Hope you and your new band do very well this year.. Also thanks alot for teaching us at swansea alot and thanks for bringin the best percussion instructer in the world to help us get better... Hope to see ya out on the lake sometime..
anthony sightler

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home