Saturday, September 09, 2006

Friday Night Lights


Last night was our first home game. We performed pregame from the field for the first time. With the exception of a few timing errors in the national anthem, things went fine. I really couldn't tell if the crowd like it, but the kids seemed to have a good time so that is what was important. At half time we performed the entire show with the exception of the last few drill sets. We just stood still and played the closer to the end. I have to admit I was impressed. Things really are starting to sound good. Our new practice area fools us a good bit in that it is in such an open area that it offers no reverberation of the sound at all. That is exactly what I was hoping for. When we played in the stadium things really projected pretty well. Our biggest visual problem was intervals and our biggest musical problem was playing through phrases. These are both difficult to fix but are usually later in the season problems. The guard was great. They are so much better than last year.
The students have chosen to rehearse all day next Saturday in an attempt to be prepared to go to contest on the 23rd. We have two big contests scheduled for Sept. 30 so we really need to see if everything works before then. I used to go to contests with the idea that the band would get some early season comments that would help but then I realized the judges were just saying what I tell them everyday. The kids like to go places so I would love for them to get the opportunity to go but as I stated before, I don't do field trips. If we go on the 23rd, it will be because we are really. Nothing is being left to chance this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home