Monday, January 04, 2010

Difficult Choices Lay Ahead

There are some difficult choices ahead for our band program. We have made some strides in the right direction but lately it seems we have hit a road block. For most where are right now is fine but I have other goals for the band. In general, there just is not enough individual effort. I see flashes of greatness but in general, the individual preparation and effort is just not happening for the band's musical level to progress beyond the current level. Certainly I have always said that the directors, parents, and students must all work together for a band to achieve greatness and I know sometimes it just doesn't work. I am not ready to give up yet though but I can't keep being the only one pushing toward the end either. It is not healthy or enjoyable for me. Today I put the task of progressing to the students. They will need to let me know if they wish to progress or if what we have is enough. I can't continue to make them do things they really don't want to. Time and effort will tell what the choice is. There is so much potential within the band program but potential is just that...an intangible idea.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Kyle Freesen said...

Understable and it's hard to keep pushing when they don't seem to want it. I'm struggling with a colleague who seems to feel fun is what the kids need and want...I think I maybe off to graduate school very soon.

I hope the kids make the best choice!

KF

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home