Thursday, October 23, 2008

Interesting?

Well I may make mistakes (although rarely...haha) I have learned that counter productive rehearsals are just that. They are counter productive. They don't work and they may actually let you lose some of the edge that you have. So I ended rehearsal early today by a little more than an hour. Could we have trudged on? Sure. Could I have made the band rehearse? Sure. Would we have gotten it back together and gotten some work done? It is my experiences that say NO. The band seemed lazy and content with what they had. That is not what can happen at this time of the season. We only have 3 more rehearsals left and if we perform at state like we did today, we certainly won't need to worry about finals. We just aren't clean enough. This is the time to really put the polish on and not relax one bit. Were there some members and sections working hard today and really trying? Yes but not enough to be productive so I ended the rehearsal. We have 3 more rehearsals to get it right. We still have a few individuals that just have to get better if we are to have chance at state finals.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you are sad and you have a right to be. We are sad too because most of your kids in the band are very committed and very tired of the non-committed kids. I think your reaction today was long in coming and hopefully you'll get the kids attention who needs it. Being a musician myself, I think I would have been upset with the lack of effort by some of the kids long ago. I hope the kids realize you are only human and you too need respect and committment from all of them. Perhaps the ones that ARE committed and respect you will get to the ones who aren't to change their attitudes. My daughter plays baritone and because of you she loves playing it. Because of you pushing her to learn a new instrument she has and my hats off to you because you encouraged her to grow and be a strong committed band member! I thank you for that! I can only think of how hard being a band director must be, but you sir have shown the kids and parents that our band is capable of bigger and better things. Hopefully after today, they will begin to live up to some of yours and theirs expectations. Hopefully it will weed out those who aren't destined to be a part of a committed marching band. One can only hope by demanding respect you will achieve it. You have my support!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a band student and I understand why you ended practice. People were not holding up their end of the bargin and not focusing. I just hope band students realize that we do have a shot this year to be top five, and that seniors don't have another chance at this and all we have to do is work hard for these last three practices. Keep doing what you doing Mr. Brady i aint mad at ya. And can we plez have the band room back in the mornings the cafeteria stinks.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was highly dissapointed that practice ended early. mr.brady had 2 basically kick me off the field because i wasnt going to go. it was going to be brandon and i out there workin on our drill no matter what anybody said. ive never mean 2 b rude to mr.brady but this stuff means to much to me. ive put in to much work and i wasnt about to let others who didnt care about it as much as i did ruin that. yes we did finally deciede to leave the field but we did it when we decieded nobody was going to change their minds and come back. im glad next year is auditioned. im tired of puttin up with this "some days we got it good some days we dont", im tired. but we will see wat happens at competition this weekend now wont we?=]]

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home