Monday, September 11, 2006

A Special Day


Today is the fifth anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Centers. I will not forget that day. I came home and my wife and I sat on the couch and just cried as we watch the tv, but I would rather reflect on something else. I would like to say what I did as a band director that day.

I was in my office and the phone rang. It was my wife to tell me that an airplane had crashed into one of the towers. I commented that I hoped everybody was ok. I thought it was an accident and even comment that a plane had ran into the Empire State building many years before by accident. One of my music representives was visiting me so we turned the tv in the band room just in time to see the second plane crash into the second tower live. It was then that everybody knew this was no accident. The day went on with much sadness and all afterschool activities had been cancelled except for one. The principal called me asked if we were going to have band practice. I thought for a moment and said yes. We did rehearse. It is the quietest rehearsal I have ever conducted. I don't think I even said two words. I remember the Monarch butterflies were migrating that day as we rehearsed in the stadium and they were flying by. Many people called the principal and the district office later in the week to complain that I was so insentive to rehearse that day. I really don't remember if it was a good rehearsal or a bad one. It didn't matter. I do remember what I told those kids though. "Today we rehearsed because we could. Some very bad people tried to take that away from us today but they didn't. They can't take away what we love to do."
I am glad we live in a place that allows us to do things like band. I am feel pretty lucky that I have gotten to share my love of band with so many people. I think that 5 years ago we learned about more than just band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home