Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sorry...


No blog yesterday. My wife and I were entertaining our drill writer. Kirk Godbey came down yesterday to check things out for us and observed things this morning. Kirk was my supervising teacher during my student teaching 14 years ago. Since that time we have become not only colleagues but also friends. He has written the drill for my bands many times and I feel fortunate to be able to obtain his services. Kirk has written drill for several state champions and BOA finalists. He seemed to think things were on the right track and we were much better than last year in many aspects already.
I am no longer worried about the music being too difficult. We can play! We have not been able to go outside during the afternoon for the past two days because of heat indexes of about 110 degrees but we have not wasted time. We have learned our music and the colorguard has learned their flag work. I have always felt that the music is the core of what we do and everything else will revolve around it. The drill will get set much easier with the music.
Tomorrow is the first day back for the "real" teachers. Sometimes I get irritated with the complaining about certain things like how many students they have in their classes (I have 95 each day!), or they have to spend too much time at school, (I will average over 70 hours a week during marching season) or scheduling problems (try scheduling a singleton class with 9-12 graders in it!) .
The picture is of my favorite daylily my wife and I grew this summer. I just thought it was pretty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home