Thursday, July 20, 2006

The First Day of Band Camp


This is picture of my new observation tower. It should be complete by tomorrow. It will be incredible! My staff can observe on the first level while I can work from the top. This is a view that the 36 new members (rookies) will get very use to by the end of October. Today we started training the future of the Swansea Tiger Marching Band. I was very please with not only the turn out but also with the performance of the rookies. With temperatures at about the 100 degree mark, they took the first step to being in a competitive marching band. Here is a list of our rookies by section: 4 flutes, 5 clarinets, 3 saxophones, 1 mellophone, 5 trumpets, 5 baritones, 2 tubas, 1 bass drum, 4 front ensemble players, 6 colorguard, and 2 new drum majors. I did discover something new today. Our new practice facility is on a fairly busy highway (SC 6) that is a well used cut through to get from Lexington to I-26. There was lots of encouragement from the passerbyers! I have always said my practices are open to the public and now they really are. Just wait until Monday when they discover that what they saw today was only 1/3 of the band. It was cool to see how many cars slowed to down just to get a look at us. Today was only the begining of what I think may be a very rewarding season for everybody.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home