Monday, July 17, 2006

Ah! Progress at Last!

Today I went to work! I went out to the school just to check on a few things like my yearly budget, progress on construction projects, and some policy things with my hired staff. I was pleasantly surprised to see a crew pouring a new concrete path for my Gator (John Deere product) to my new practice field. Swansea has never practiced on a grass surface before. Over the past decade, they have practiced on an asphalt surface. Sure, there are no lines to paint and it never gets muddy but, there are several drawbacks t0 a solid surface. The most obvious one is HEAT! and I mean lots of it. The asphalt surface would not only collect heat but would store it throughout the entire 2 1/2 hour rehearsal. Also, the area is also the bus parking lot during the day and would collect alot of oil during the year. Just add a little rain, about 100 students marching in tennis shoes and you have an instant skating rink! Many students have slipped and fallen during the past year. Hopefully the grass surface will be a little more forgiving if somebody slips. My new observation tower is still not complete but a least there has been progress. Tomorrow will be my last "free" day of fishing so perhaps I will post a fishing report tomorrow. Over the next few weeks I will elaborate on some of the things I have mentioned previously such as budget, staff, drill, and facilities. One thing to remember is that if it involves band or instrumental music in Lexington School District Four, it has a common link...me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home