Monday, July 31, 2006

Here's the truth...


I am a band nerd! Today I was joined by others, about 100 of them! I know it was hot today, and it was Monday but who cares it was band camp. Sometimes I feel sorry for the people that just don't get what we do. After a somewhat slow start today, we finally got it together. We are up to page 43 in the drill and after studying the closer we may get the whole show on the field by Friday. If we don't, it will not be failure but just another hurdle to jump. We will be successful this season.
Back to being a band nerd, I can remember being in high school and looking at my watch to figure out how many more hours it was until band practice. Was it hot...yes! Was it hard...yes! Did it take a lot of time...Yes! Was every bit of it worth it...Yes! Sometimes I get asked "Why are you a band director?" The answer is simple...I love band. Somehow this has been transfered to my students. I have 5 former students that are attending USC as music majors. I myself could have persued other routes in music such as orchestra or a private instructor but I always wanted to be a band director. Today was hot, hard, and took time but was it worth it...yes! Things are coming together. Unfortunately there is a heat advisory tomorrow so we will have to stay inside for the afternoon session. A few pages of drill is not worth the safety of the band members. So what will we do? We will learn to play even better but even more importantly we will be able to have band together for another day. Why be in band? My famous answer is because you like doing the activity.
The picture above is of our own little oasis, our backyard. That is little Ted looking over his fish. I just thought it was a neat picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home