Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Better Day

Today was a better day of band. I was outside from 12:00 noon until about 7:00 p.m. It was worth it to me to feel like we accomplished something. This is always a difficult time of the year. We have started school and football games but the real task at hand has not sunk in yet. I mean I am sure that the spectators at the football games have thought we were good. I am positive that the parent feel their children are great! (My mom thinks everything I do is great!) The real test is what would the judges think. At this point, not much. We have a long way to go and for some the reason why we are working so hard and pushing so much is not even a thought. I will be soon. I always love the way the students look at the first competition when they realize that all across there are band doing and wanting the same thing that we do. I remember very clearly a first year student at her first competition coming up to me and saying "Do we compete against all the bands?" The answer of course was "YES!" That's the thing. We don't get to compete one on one. That would be much easier. We compete against up to 16 bands at once. Maybe I would be better off if I just toned it down a little. It would certainly be easier for me. The problem is I would not be able to look at the band if we weren't competitive or worse still if we didn't even make state. I think the students, parents, and community deserve more. All the complaints, phone calls, tears, and insults were all worth it see my band at lower state marching off the field as champions and to see them all at state with their medals. It is certainly worth it and the seniors don't get a "wait until next year".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read some of the blogs from last year as you suggested in your blog yesterday (we all know exactly which day you're talking about...that fourth of a point day), and I didn't realize how far ahead we are this year. We didn't have the whole show on the field (drill, not cleanliness) until Sep. 14th. I obviously know that each show is different, but I personally think that is an accomplishment for not only you as an awesome band director, but also for the band. Even though we cannot make up for the time we lost, I know that you allowing us to set drill during class today helped tremendously. The students seemed more focused during class than they did at practice.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home