Saturday, August 25, 2007

The First Performance of the Year


Last night was our first true test of the year. We performed the opener for the home crowd at half-time and after the game. It has been my experience that you never quite know what to expect with the first time out. We had not been on any field except our practice field at all. I told a few of the students that this was the true test of how well we rehearsed. That may sound strange but it is true. Some people wonder why we rehearse so hard only to put on a 12 minute show. Why? That is simple...when it counts there are no nerves to get in the way. We don't need to worry about things. They went just as planned. The band was (and if you know me, you know I don't just hand out complements) outstanding! This is year 13 for me as a head band director and I can honestly say, I have never had a band perform this well at the first game. If you ever watch a great sports team it is almost like they know what the other team is going to do before it happens. That was us last night. There were no surprises because we don't just go through the motions at rehearsal. We knew what to expect and what to do and we did it. I have never seen a band so excited to go on the field. If you do it right, you aren't nervous, just ready to go! I don't know if I am becoming a better band director or if the Swansea band is becoming a better band, but I have a feeling it is both. I have always wanted a band to work with and grow with. It seems I may have found what I was looking for. I am so proud of them for their work last night. Next week is very important in that we must get to work on the closer and have 3 great rehearsals. Today and tomorrow are yours Tiger Band but Monday it is back to work. Thanks for the feeling of success you gave me last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home