Monday, August 27, 2007

A Day Lost?

Today was what I consider a lost day. We may never be able to make up the time we lost today. That is the thing about time. It is the great equalizer. Everybody only has 24 hours in a day. In Texas, marching bands are limited to 8 hours of rehearsal out of the school day. It sounds like a good idea. I am very disappointed because I looked forward to rehearsal all day today. I really thought we were going to get things together. Here is what I had planned:
1. Section leader would warm up their sections and spot check music.
2. Basics block.
3. Clean the ballad and review the interlude.
4. Set at least 3 pages of the closer.
Here is what actually happened:
1. Some sections did what they were supposed to. One section actually did nothing.
2. Basics block did happen.
3. We worked on half of the ballad and none of the interlude.
4. We set none of the closer. The band actually seemed to refuse to even try this.
I sent them home 20 minutes early and they seemed happy for it. Many actually seemed more than happy. I thought we were over this kind of thing but I guess not. I am not going to yell and scream at them. They should want it as bad as I do. Some do but not enough yet. The problem is that it may be way too late when they do. We do not have any of the closer on the field. That will be very difficult to do now. I won't have sent them home if only a few were not doing what they should. I would have dealt with those individuals but more than half the band was not responding so rather then upset myself, I called it. Funny thing about this blog, you can look back at last year's posts and find .4 of a point pretty easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home