Monday, May 14, 2007

Darlington!



Here goes some pretty good stuff! We left at 11:30 a.m. for the track and picked up my wife's best friend to go the race. Hey, who am I to not go to the race with two girls? We arrived at the track around 2:00 due to some poor planning on my part for the route we took. It was great warm weather, good neighbors, the site was set up, etc. We cooked our nice steaks and potatoes and then it started...RAIN! Not hard at first but then it rained harder. This was some serious rain. I mean I swear Noah came by once and asked if he could hang out under our canopy. So what did we do? We had a party! Yes, we had a party under a 10'x10' canopy until they called the race at about 8:30 p.m. We got home at about 1:00 a.m. (Once again my fault due to poor parking strategy). So what did I do? I woke up at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday and went back to the track...Solo. Nobody else could go that day so I went alone. Not one of my friends would take a free ticket to go so I went alone. I think some people were surprised. I do have fun at the race but the major reason I love going is to watch racing. So away I went. I arrived at 10:00 a.m. just as the gate were opening. My parking strategy was perfect this time. There something that I have always liked about going to the track early. It is odd. Here I was a facility that would in 3 hours hold almost 100,000 people yet it was eerily empty. I walked in and they took my ticket (s) and I asked the security guard if I could walk on the track. HE LET ME! I walk around on the track at turn 3. That is picture. If you look, you can see it was taken from the other side of the wall. I have also included the strange view of a fairly empty Darlington Raceway. The race was great and I had plenty of room. I did miss Cindy though but hey I loved the racing. I did not like who won but hey I was there. For any of you that think it is just watching cars go in a circle you should go. It may change you...forever. NASCAR is not just a sport. It is a true event. Cindy's friend had never been to a race and still has yet to see the event but I think she would even agree that there is fun to be had at a race. Next weekend I am off to the Charlotte Motor Speedway (you won't catch me calling it Lowe's) for one of my favorite events...THE WINSTON. I know it is now the All-Star shootout but not for me. So the next time you know I am at a race and it gets rained out, give me a call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home