Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Grammy...How about that?



Micheal Daugherty won the Grammy for Best Classical Contemporary Composition for 2011 with his composition "Deus Ex Machina". Imagine that? All you have to do is look back at my posts from September, October, and November to know we knew it was a great piece all along. I have to say that I was shocked to have made finals at BOA in Towson, Maryland only to return to South Carolina to be shut out of finals at out state competition. Some of the comments from the judges at BOA were "Thank you for being different" and " Wow, this is really cool." Only to hear comments like this in SC "I am not sure what you are going for" and "This is very obscure." Well I guess some people do know the piece and I am sure many more will now too. I find it interesting that a bunch of kids in Irmo, South Carolina know a great deal about the 2011 Grammy winner where as many "judges" did not. If you haven't seen our show from last year, you really show check it out. It is way ahead of its time but I will take that any day over being behind the times.
"It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live somebody else's life with perfection"

P.S. Yes, we did obtain the legal rights to arrange the composition for marching band. It was rather easy to do actually.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sarina Zimmer said...

I'm a bit late in seeing this, but-that's really interesting! The band I'm in at USC played Michael Daugherty's "Desi" a couple of weeks ago at our first spring semester concert, though I unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to perform since we only used four clarinets. I love this piece a lot, especially the instrumentation-ooh, piano--that it has! And of course the contemporary elements present makes it stand apart from many pieces, which draws me in more.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home