Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Morning with Me

I sit in my hotel room alone on this last day of all state band and have bit of time off (Well not really, because there are still 8 kids here under my supervision) but I have some time to think. This is always an interesting weekend of band directing for many reasons other than the actual event we are here for. This is our last band directing meeting of the year and it is also when things that have been brewing of the school year come usually come out in the open. This year is a bit different. There are not many jobs to speak of due to the state of the economy and most are happy just to have a job. But other traditions continue. There are still little "Clicks" of band directors that posture each other. Some speak as they go by while others seem to not remember you were friends just a few years ago. As for my "Click", well I don't really have one. I have friends and that is important. I am often friends with people who can offer me very little professionally except gossip and conversation, but you know what? I enjoy that. It is not doubt that I have thought of doing something else with my career. I have often been asked about going into administration. It makes sense with what I do now. I basically run a small school of music. I control the budget. I arrange travel. I create the curriculum. I hire...and fire staff. I deal with discipline. I deal with parents. All the good stuff. This weekend I am a travel and entertainment coordinator. I have also thought about going into the private sector. There are companies that hire teachers to work for them. One of my oldest and most trusted advisers and friends told me I would miss it too much though and she asked me what part of band I loved the most. I surprised myself with me answer. What was my answer? Not what most would think. It's not winning competitions or even performances at all. It's not the fact that I get to work all weekend basically for free. (One my students asked Friday how much overtime I got paid for being away from home and working all weekend. I just smiled and said none. She looked surprised. And believe me this weekend has been work. I have 8 kids that I have been transporting and supervising all weekend.) What do I enjoy the most about being a band director? Here is the answer...rehearsing and practicing. I enjoy the work part of it all. I enjoy sweating in the summer and working on one measure for 30 minutes. I enjoy adding the stuff not on the music that takes a piece of paper and ink and turns it into a work of art. I would miss that. I would not miss talk about how many students I have signed up for band. My answer to that is always the same. I have the all the "right ones". When I start hearing talk about numbers I start looking at the job postings again. My philosophy on this topic has always been the thought that it is my job to produce the best possible band program and give every student the opportunity to be a part of it. The choice to be a part of the program is theirs alone. So I will continue to rehearse, practice, and teach my students. There are only about 9 hours of All State Band Weekend. I miss home for sure but then I have some time off because I have worked all weekend...RIGHT! That just doesn't happen in this job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home