Monday, February 08, 2010

NASCAR


Unless you don't know me at all, you know I love racing. I love all racing. My college room mate told me once that I would watch two kids race around a track if it was on TV. Maybe that is true but I really do love racing. I love to go and I love to watch it. So as the rest of the world may have been clued to the Super Bowl, and yes I did watch it, the real sporting event for me was the official start of the racing season. There has been lots of talk about Danica Patrick and her debut in stock car racing in the ARCA race Saturday. She finished 6th and that is fine. Today she announced that she would race this Saturday in the Busch series, I know it is the Nationwide series now too but I just can't say that, at Daytona. The media is all over this but wait a minute. There are few things that are not being said about this. Check out my list of problems with this whole thing:

1. She raced in ARCA with the best possible equipment that was supplied by Rick Hendrick racing. She finished 6th against other racers with much less equipment.

2. She raced against racers that really need to take care of their equipment. They can't afford to beat and bang like the many of the NASCAR racers because many of them only have one or two cars. They tended to save their cars for this reason. What is going to happen when somebody forces the issue with her Saturday? What happens when she pushes somebody and they push back?

3. Who cares? I have seen many of them come and go. Let's just wait and see.

One thing is for sure, I will be watching lots of racing this weekend. The twin 150 races are Thursday, the truck race is Friday, the Busch race is Saturday, and of course the real deal is Saturday, the Daytona 500! One thing else is for sure too...I miss Dale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home