Sunday, March 28, 2010

Concert Festival is almost here


We have a one last rehearsal tomorrow and then Tuesday is the real deal. I am taking two different groups as I did last year. Many schools will claim to take two or three groups but in reality they truly are not. You see there is no rule about using the same students in different groups meaning that many schools will take an advanced group in say grade V or VI and then take a lower group but supplement that group with players from the advanced group. This is definite advantage especially in the sight reading room. I guess it goes back to the ego thing for some but I would rather teach my best and see how my groups stack up to the others. My two groups are going in class III and V. I am sure we could have gone in a higher class and played easier music too. How is this? Well, the director picks the music so it is easy to find a grade VI composition that is actually easier than a grade V. For me, I think the ultimate would be getting straight superior ratings in a class before you move up. I always said until you can play every grade V on the list, you aren't ready to move up. Last year both of my groups received a superior and that was really great. I certainly hope to match that again but truth is that my groups both play much better this year and I feel they are more prepared too. Isn't that what it is really about? Wish us luck anyway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home