Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Making it Important

I have discussed this before and probably will again. A major problem I see with my current position is a lack of importance to the general populous of the band program. I hear things like "band isn't very important here" or "nobody really cares about us" and my response is the same. Make it important to you and the others will follow suit. I get the impression that many of our members view band as something that just takes place at school. This has to end if our program is to reach the next level. Band can not just be an activity that takes place at school. It must take on an individual role at home. I have commented before that a lack of ability is a difficult problem to over come. A lack of ability must be fixed at home not on the marching field or in the band room. I can teach you to play your instrument at school, but you will learn to play your instrument at home. Most students will teach themselves to play at home. Mine and the staff's task is to teach strong fundamentals and watch out for mistakes. We can't make it happen alone though.
On the other side of things, I see some of the most dedicated band members I have taught in my band room each day trying as hard as they can and I admire them for that. They are my heroes. They carry their instruments home each day and practice. I don't have to test them to know they practice. I can tell in their playing and confidence each day.
Parents encourage, staff teach, and students practice and play. Nothing more the averageness can happen until all those items are in place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home