Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fresh Thoughts

I haven't posted after a Friday night game in a while. Maybe not for a few years I think but I am pretty excited for my band. They did really well tonight. It felt right for the first time at Dutch Fork. I don't know what it was but it was right. My principal complimented us as soon we made our appearance in the stadium and I looked up at my band and he was right...we looked good. We also sounded good. Things were coming together. We even had another band with us tonight. That is becoming a rarity lately and I am so glad they came. They really did well with their performance. We played a lot tonight as the game lasted for over three hours. Hey that's ok too. It is football after all but then came what I had waited for...a real run of the show, on grass, with an audience. I have not seen or heard my show before tonight except at practice. I ran up the stairs and sat down to watch. I was very happy with what I saw and heard and it wasn't just my band either. About 3 or 4 hundred people stayed to watch. It let me know that things are changing. Band is becoming more important at DF. Even after our great performance, I saw my boss still with us. I know my kids love to be acknowledged for a job well done, but I do too. Things were good tonight and things were mine too. I have been doing it the Brady way for the past few weeks and I couldn't be happier. The kids seem happy too. I was also fortunate enough to see a former student of mine that is now at Blythewood. That is cool too. I don't know many teachers that get hugs from former students like that. The truth is that I miss and remember all my students in some way. Have a great weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Had to delete and re-post. Had a nasty typo (Need to proofread!) the first time...

Change has indeed started to take root! You are having a very positive impact on your students and it shows! As I read this post, I realized how hard it must be to spend as much time as you do with the students and not have a chance to really just enjoy their performances. As their teacher you have to break down what you see in rehearsals. Sure seeing them improve is cool, but having a chance to simply sit and watch is a rarity. I was thrilled to see so many people in the stands! Keep doing things the Brady way! DF is yours and it shows...I like it!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jon:

I would like to thank you, your students, and your band boosters for making us feel at home last night. We really enjoyed our opportunity to give a full performance in another venue and our students were thrilled with the reception that they received from the Dutch Fork parents and band members.

Please tell the band members that I enjoyed their performance last night and I look forward to seeing them again at this Saturday's contest.

Best of luck this season.

GF

11:22 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

ahhhhh, and I had to be sick! I will not be sick this weekend though! Kids came home pumped!!!

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home