Sunday, January 11, 2009

Region Band Auditions

Region band auditions are over. I think things went very well. We have 10 students that will get to audition again in two weeks for all state. We should end up with about 20 students total in region band. I wish more students would audition but that will come. Many students will be disappointed with their results just as some will be very happy. To the ones that are disappointed I have a few suggestions. First, take private lessons from a qualified instructor. We have access to so many of them in our area. Second, practice consistently. Practicing a week or two before auditions is just what it takes. You must practice for the most important reason...because you like to play your instrument. Make it a habit. Third, don't give up. It is all too easy to say "I just can't do it!". I am proud of all the students that auditioned. You are doing what needs to be done to take our band to the next level.
The real stars of the day were the Dutch Fork Band Boosters. They were great and worked not only yesterday but many, many days before to prepare. Everybody seemed to be happy with the way things turned out with regard to the actual audition site. Thanks also goes to the many students that volunteered their personnel time to serve as a page and/or room monitor.
I have some disappoint in our final results. I think some students just did not realize the task ahead of them. Our region is a tough one. There are many great band programs and musicians with which we must compete. Certainly I will not stop striving for the improvement of our band program. None of us can. The band program itself is at stake.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do wish my child could have done better. They were sick the day before and day of auditions, but still auditioned. Didn't do as well as we hoped, but will remember that for next year.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home