Wednesday, July 02, 2008

It's Really Up to You


It is really up to you how you react to things that go on around you. I must confess that as much as I love band directing one thing has always sort of been my Achilles heel. That is politics. I knew when I started band directing that there were some politics involved but I really didn't know what the whole thing was about. I use to go out of my way to challenge the "system". Not so anymore and let me tell you I have come to enjoy it. There are many different ways to confront problems and I for one use to be head on in them at all times. Now look I still love a challenge and I still know when to say how I feel but I just mean that with age I have gotten better. One of my biggest abilities and what I would call "traits" is the fact that I have been able to take the things that I view as weaknesses and make them my strong points. I think back to high school in my playing. Rhythm, in high school, was a big playing problem for me. I have always had range and technique. Air and tone have always been my strong points but rhythm would hold me back. Then I made a choice to get better and I did. Now rhythm may be my strong point. It taught me that if you can just keep working on your weaknesses then in the end you just may end up on top. I know I have much to improve but I have to say I am just having a lot of fun. One thing that I am missing lately is that as much fun as I am having and as many things I am getting done, with help I might add, is that I still haven't got to do what I love to do most at work. It is what I think I am the best at too. I love to teach. I think we have a bright future ahead of us.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

True to all. Keep your chin up, and get those teaching "Chops" ready my friend! You are a mere 26 days from getting a chance to do what you love!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Wow- Your passion shines through! Only 26 days, can you believe it!!
You have a great group of parents behind you....just teach and tell them your needs. We look forward to a wonderful year! No Pressure!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home