Thursday, February 15, 2007

Michelangelo's "David"


Today was a doosy. It started well enough but something seemed to be in the air. The school seemed just be loud today. Everybody seemed to be in frenzy of some sort.
Any way I guess, I am the man to hate today. I have been pushing the kids pretty hard as far as concert band goes. Why? It is not like Swansea is use to having a upper crust concert program. It would really be much easier on me if we just went in Class IV and did some easier pieces. So why push them to more difficult and significant music? One reason is that I like teaching and conducting the more difficult music. That is a selfish but true reason. Another is the opportunities the students may have to be awarded scholarships. The better the concert program becomes the more exposure the band will get to colleges. Another reason is that we are in contention to do very well next year at marching band. What? How can this affect marching band? I have explained this before. Look back a few pages for this explanation.
It does affect me to see students sad that I have pointed them out and told them they must do better. But is also affects me to hear the things that are said about me. I hear more than I tell. I developed a very hard skin many years ago though. But I will say that the thing hurts the most is...
When we are at competition and things did not go well. I see six feet tall boys with tears in their eyes. I see parents mad and I see the hurt in everybody's face. Who do they all look at then? Me. I am the one they look to for explanation. The one that has to try to explain when were beat by judges or political reasons. They all look at me.
When we go to concert festival and receive a lower rating than we wanted. I am the one that has to tell them and they all look at me.
When we have the best run of the year and come off the field feeling like champions only to hear the results of third...Again...For the second time that day! They all look at me.
When a student cries because they didn't make region or all-state and tried with all their might but fell short.
These things hurt more than being hated for a day.
What makes it better?
To be mobbed by 100 students after you won lower state and nobody, not even them, thought they could do it.
To get straight I's in Class V at festival with a band of only 42 and have to tell them to be quiet as they cheered because other bands are still playing.
To finish second in the state and have students hug you anyway because they knew they had given it their all and wear their red ribbons to school because they knew they earned it.
To get emails from students I taught years ago that say thank you.
To see the student cry because they made region band after all those years of trying.
To see my students tell me they want to be band directors.
So I can handle the remarks, the temporary tears (although they crush me at the moment), the nasty phone calls, and the titles of mean, heartless, and non compassionate because I know the rewards are there.
Remember Michelangelo said when people commented that his "David" was the most remarkable piece of art ever created that "He didn't create the art. He just took away the excess stone that was covering it up." The stone had even been discarded by other artists of the time as being flawed. I guess he won that contest.
Swansea I think we both have a lot more to offer each other. Just let me chip away at the stone and you just be what you are, but let's work together to create a masterpiece.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said... You are a good man Charlie Brown.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now everyone will know why I love you so very much.....and I do!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home