Monday, February 05, 2007

I Don't Have Time!


I require my students to take their instruments home every day, or their grade is drastically reduced. I know I can't make them all practice, but I can guarantee that no practicing will take place if the instrument is left in the band room. The most common response I hear as to why students don't practice is that they don't have time. Get real kids! Just wait until you are a little older and really find out the value of time. Grades are due for the first term of the semester and there may be quite a few surprises because students have not taken home their instruments. I will get parent phone calls about poor grades and it really is a pain to me to check to see if the instruments have went home. Why do I do it? Because, it is the right thing to do. Popular things are not always right and right things are not always popular. Sure I could ease up and not worry about so much. Heck, we might even have a larger band. I can't do it. A parent once told me that I acted like her child was going to be a professional musician and that just music just wasn't that important to her child or her. My response was simple. Music may not be that important to that student or parent but it might be to the student sitting next to them. Without high standards in place, only mediocrity can take place. So make time to practice because not only is important to the student practicing, it is important to the other students, too.
"Shoot of the Moon! If you miss, you may just end up among the stars! "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home