Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Stepping Back a Little

My posts may a bit more sparse for a while. I know this is not being read very much anymore now that marching season is over...Or is it? More on that later. It seems I have been asking too much lately out the students as far as expecting them to perform better individually. I truly thought that our success during the marching season would be a platform to which we could make some great strides as a complete band program especially in the concert area and the individual performance area. It sadly has not worked that way. For over 2 weeks now I have been pushing too hard for too little reward. I tried to make the percussion perform some ensembles. The results were less than rewarding to me and even less for them. I have been really pushing the concert band to strive for the grade 5 and 6 but alas this too has only resulted in frustration from all. I really don't think anybody at the Winter concert cares what grade of music we play anyway. I have heard a lot about "wait until next year...We are going to win state!" You think so? Maybe...Maybe not. There is a good chance we will move up to AAA next year. I bet those bands are not going to festival in grade 3 or 4. Try 5 or 6! I don't understand how students can go from practicing in the heat, sun, rain, and cold for up to 10 hours a week, to not working on their own for 45 minutes a day.
So I will be stepping back from trying to make people do what they really don't want to do. It just doesn't work. I will leaving the band room early for most days unless somebody really wants some help. I miss home and my family. Yesterday I stayed at the band room for extra help and not one student played for me so I guess it is really not needed or wanted.
So marching season is over? Not for the bands that are making strives right now by working hard individually and as a group to perform legitimate concert works. They are working towards next year's marching success right now. It will show next Fall for sure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Mr. Brady!

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really enjoy playin the percussion ensemble it is not tooo terribly hard we just have to work at it i have been practicing it. so maybe we can change ur mind or whatever but im getting tired of the ppl in the class that dont care plz dont give up on us or should i say the ones who care!!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home