Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Changing Attitudes


Here are the totals. We have 41 students paid and registered for region/all-state band auditions at the high school. We have 29 paid and registered at the middle school. That's a grand total of 70! Last year we had a record number of students make region band. We had 23 total in region and 3 in all-state. I told the students about one year ago that if they wanted to do better in marching band it was simple...They had to learn to play better. They did, and they had an amazing change in their results in marching band. From 6th at lower state to 1st and and from 9th at state to 2nd! Who knows what can happen if we get better during concert season this year. There is only one more place to do at state...To the top! Maybe making semi-finals at BOA can be a reality. And now for the top 30 marching bands in the country...The Swansea Tiger Marching Band! That has a nice ring to it. What about top 12? Ok, one step at a time. Region band auditions are the number one thing I have seen to make a difference in a student's individual playing. I am very proud of everybody that chose to take the risk. Now the next step is to get practicing.
I don't get paid a supplement for concert band season, but you can bet that I will spending a lot of extra time to get the students ready for region band auditions. Why? Because I love band and any student willing to spend their time to do the extra stuff is pay enough for me. I know it will pay greater dividends that monetary rewards can offer.
Here is the breakdown of the high school students registered to audition:
5 flutes
7 clarinets
2 bass clarinets
6 saxophones
3 horns
5 trumpets
4 trombones
1 euphonium
2 tubas
3 mallet percussion
3 snares
I will take those kind of balanced numbers any day. Great job!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's more like... I HOPE I CAN I HOPE I CAN!!! lol

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home