Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Band Muscle!


"But there are no more sections in the band. You have covered them all." Not quite. We have 5 young men that are our student pit crew. They are an interesting bunch. Right after school began, I put out a notice that I was looking for some students that would be willing to help with equipment and travel with the band. I really did not expect anybody to come. But they did. These guys are great! They come to every rehearsal and help us with equipment and just about everything we need. They also come to football games and competitions. Make no mistake they are not extras. They are every bit a part of the band as any other students. There are a couple that have had discipline problems in the past, and I was even warned about a few. I gave them a chance and they are great. I really appreciate them in many ways. Maybe nobody else ever gave them a chance to be successful.
This brings up an interesting point. I have throughout my career always been one to give kids a chance that maybe just never had one before. I just feel like my bands have a place for everybody. I don't know how many band fees I have paid for or how many instruments I have given away but I do know it is worth it to see them succeed in something. I once marched a student that has one leg longer than the other. No judge ever commented. I had a pretty bad alto saxophone player and gave her a baritone saxophone only to see her shine. I have taught more kids than I will ever be able to count or remember private lesson for just one thing in return...Their best! Even little Henry needed a chance. If you look at his picture above you may notice he has some scars and his ears are a bit short. He lived most of his life under means and had to fight for his life everyday. Most would not want a dog that had been marred like that. Not us, we love Henry just the way he is. He just needed a chance to give away as much love as he could.
Monday morning after finishing 3rd at two competitions to tough competition I found myself wondering what to say. I just simply wrote something on the board and everybody was all smiles for the rest of the day. It is a quote and not one I found in a book. It is below and it applies to all my students...Past, present, and future:
"Your best is and always will be good enough for me."
Brady

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is Henry....or the Goo.....or Jello....or the Poot! He has several names that fit. Isn't he gorgeous?!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home