Thursday, September 23, 2010

Away We Go...???

We have a weekend full of band scheduled. I have some hesitation about the scheduled competition and I would be lying if I said anything different. Tomorrow is Friday and it will be a long, long day for sure. We have pep rally too just to top it off. We are have a home game so at least we are not traveling. Tomorrow will the be the premier of our new uniforms. They are super cool too. Just wait until you see them. Then Saturday is the real show. We are going to a place I know well, Batesburg-Leesville High School. Here is why I am hesitate about the competition:
1. The show is hard. I mean really hard both musically and visually. It is just pretty darn rough right now. In places we just kind of "get though" it. I know we will get better but right now it is not very readable.
2. We are trying new stuff. We are going to B-L because it is a pre-lim and finals format which means 8 bands will get to perform in finals regardless of class, but each class winner gets in automatically so that only leaves 4 more spots after that for the next highest scores. If we don't have a good run, we could be home early.
3. We came out of the box on fire last year and I don't want the kids or parents to think if we don't we early, we are done. The show we have isn't about winning early. It's about doing well at BOA and state.
Here are some reasons why we are going:
1. We are a competitive marching band and we have to compete. At some point you need to go and learn, if you are new, or remember, if you are returning, why we work so hard.
2. We need to see if we can physically get everything from point A to point B. We have lots of new stuff and we need to see if it all will work.
3. My kids and myself thrive on competition with other bands. It is not always about winning though. My goal for the weekend is to make finals and have a successful day with regards to the above items.
So although I don't think we are really ready to compete, it is at this point we must. It is just time! I know one think for sure, we are going to look great!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sarina said...

I'm going to the competition to watch with my sister! I can't wait to see the show... Though it'll feel weird watching, not performing. But the next week it'll be your turn to watch us at WK! (USC)

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to say Mr. Brady, thank you so much for all that you do for us. When you first came to Dutch Fork, nobody, including me, was sure about how this 'new director' would work out. But you have showed me over the past three years that I can really do anything I set my mind to inside the band world, and out. You believed and believe in us when no one else does, you see our potential, and don't let us settle for anything less than what we are capable of, perfect. You have believed in me more than anyone I have ever known, and possibly will know. I just would like to thank you for being there, when no one else was, when everyone was ready to quit, you wouldn't let us, because you knew that we could do it. Thank you :)

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home