Sunday, November 02, 2008

State: The Recap

We were all disappointed last night but I for one was not disappointed with myself and my band. We had a great run at 4:30 and nobody can take that away. There were some things I did not like about state though. First, I did not like how far away everything was physically. We had to walk far too much. Our buses were the furthest from warm up, the rest room, and the stadium. I did like the stadium though. The field surface was great for marching band. Second, I did not like the way most of the 5A directors walk around like they are most important people on the planet. I mean get real. I always find time to talk to the other band directors. Most of these guys did not even say hi. It is marching band. We are not solving world hunger or curing diseases! Mostly, I did not like the fact that one judge kept us out of finals. The individual music judge tanked us bad. He had us 12th. I just don't think that one judge should have that power. I am sure he can back up his score though. They always can.


What can we do to make sure we don't miss finals again? Here are a few suggestions.

1. The level of skill in the individual must continue. More students must register for region/all-state band and take it seriously. Our guard has come a long way this year. My challenge to them is to keep working with the flag through out the year. It will make a big difference next year.

2. We must have a continuous band program throughout all three levels. Right now we have a serious disconnect with the middle school band program. This must end.

3. Everybody must have faith that we are doing the right things and we are, I promise! What we did this year and how we did it will transfer into success in the future. Right now it may be difficult to see this but it will work.

I would like to add that one of the best things that happened this year was the way the booster club and the band parents came together and did great things. Our support group is growing and that will make all the difference in the future too. The kids equipment was always where it needed to be when it was needed. That in itself is a great accomplishment. The students were always well cared for with regards to medical issues, uniforms, and food. I can't do all that stuff on my own. I would also like to thank Mr. Henke. I knew him before this year but now I consider him a friend too. He is a great band director and a person too. You don't find that too much anymore. He is the Zen of our group for sure. He may not talk a lot at rehearsal or contests but when he does, you better listen. I am also very glad that Mr. Apple is with us. He has taught me a lot and I really enjoy having him as a friend too. I have to admit something was missing yesterday and that was Cindy. She is the one who always knows what to say to me and it always with me during the hard times. I hope I don't have to go to any more contests without her. Tom and Greg were great company during the trip though and very entertaining. Mr. Sharp is the best visual tech I have worked with yet. Many parents and students thanked me yesterday. I just do my job and I feel I am average at best but I can't remember seeing as many former students as I did yesterday nor have as many parents said thank you to me. I didn't see anybody angry or mad last night in the band room. That lets me know we did something right.
Now go practice and sell some fruit. We need to get better and this band thing ain't cheap!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed coming out to practice on Thursday. I like doing things like that when I can because it gives me a chance to pick up some ideas as well as see some of the great things other directors are doing with their programs. I was really amazed by your kids and what they are doing, but I must say that I have come to expect that over the years. You just do such wonderful things with the band programs that you lead and I hope that I can one day be as good as you. Getting to student teach with you before I graduated from college was one of the best experiences I have ever had and I don't regret a minute of it. I learned so much and I am still learning from you to this day. I look up to you as a mentor, colleague, and a friend. And I also just wanted to say thank you. Keep doing the outstanding job that you are doing.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will we get to listen to the tapes in class?

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Mr. Brady, Mr. Henke, all of the other leaders and instructors, the pit crew, the boosters, and most especially to the band students...Way to Go!! You all worked very hard throughout the season and it definitely shows. Your performances and your behavior as a group are exemplary! Looking forward to even better results next year!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You kids have come a long way! I am so proud of all of you and the hard work you have done definitely showed this weekend! I was priviledged to be a chaparone and must say I came away inspired by all of you! I start back nursing school in January and I am more motivated (have been scared to death!) by watching you kids perform this weekend. State Finals is just that...doing what you did made you kids real winners. You never gave up. Now I can see how hard work pays off no matter the what outcome. Mr. Brady, you have been a true inspiration to me also. I know this year has been a challenge for you, but you never gave up on our kids! I am forever grateful for your persistant dedication to this band and the kids. I know you are going to build this band to be #1! You have been a mentor also to my daughter and myself. I wish I had a teacher like you in high school! Thank you & Cindy for everything! I also thank all the parents who volunteered their time. I feel like I came away with a whole new family and I look forward to next year!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also thank Mr. Henke! Your quiet spirit did not go unnoticed!

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the Dutch Fork band for all of their success this year. Welcome to 5A, Mr. Brady.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one would also like to say thank you to Mr. Brady, Mr. Henke and Mr. Apple for everything they have done for the band and the kids this year. Also, to Cindy Brady who may not have been with us physically Saturday, but was there in spirit and heart. You have put up with alot of time away from your husband and we thank you for that. You are a class act too!!!

To the kids, you are all a class act and I as a parent, along with dad, are very proud to be associated with such a great group of students. Both dad and I helped in various ways this year and we always heard thank you from the kids, directors and everyone involved. The kids also are a class act when it comes to the way they carry themselves in the stands and off the field at these events. Sure, some of them will kid around and talk to much, but I don't recall them saying negative words about other bands, as one particular band said to my student and another while at a previous competition.

You have one more marching performance this weekend, so go out and do your best as you always do. Carry all of these successes with you through the rest of your band performances this year and have them carry you through to next marching season.

Thank you to the seniors and good luck to you.

We as two parents are very proud to say we are associated with the Dutch Fork High School Silver Spirit Marching Band and will continue to for quite a few years.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot. Also, thank you to Jon Sharpe!!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

ok- I have waited awhile to wait for my head to quit spinning. I still can't believe we didn't make finals. We all look at the scores and when we can say:
We scored higher than 5 other bands in Muic Ensemble.
We scored higher than 6 other bands in Visual Ensemble.
We scored higher than 6 other bands in Visual Individual.
We scored higher than 7 other bands in Overall Effect/Music, which includes Stratford and Dorman.
We scored higher than 8 other bands in overall Effect Visual, which includes Boiling Springs, JFB,Lexington
We did great!!!!For having a new director and just 4 months. WOW!
Thanks to all our staff and parents for all you have done. If you didn't get involved with your kids you need to!
Booster are not what we want FROM YOU, but what we want FOR YOU!
Many positions are still needing to be filled and I challenge you to get involved, even if your kids don't want you there. They will thank you later, I promise!

Region band is coming in jan...so plan to help kids get in and out quickly. This really is a fun day. Watch for details.

Thanks really goes to Mr. Brady for giving all he has for his first year and i am sure that you will inspire our kids even more and instill indiviual practice even more. Surprise...if you practice you do get better!

Can't wait til next year and see how many of our kids get to All-State this year...mine was close last year.

See you all around-
Pat Ready

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home