Monday, September 22, 2008

Lessons from Tom

Tom is my new (new to me) assistant band director and I have to say he offers some really good advise to me. I am really glad to have him around. We will have 5 holes in our show Saturday and they are unavoidable. I will have 3 students out for reasons beyond my control. I thought I had one hole filled but then she quit, and then there was always one hole anyway. I haven't been to contest with holes like that in about 9 years. I told Tom I didn't think we should go to the competition with that many holes but he made a good point. He said that wouldn't be fair to the kids that has been working so hard. He is right. I have always tried to be fair to my students so that is what we will do.
I get the feeling lately of unimportance. We spend so much time working on our product that I can't bear to think that it is "just an after school activity". It is much, much more to many of us yet I still see that attitude from some. For groups to be successful they must be important and the members must have a sense that what they are doing is important. I will do my best to continue to teach to the best of my ability but I get the feeling some just don't believe in what I am doing or maybe it is not important.
We will go Saturday. I just wish this band would live up to its potential but then again that is the story of the Dutch Fork band for sure. Always close but just a bit off of the real prize.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charles M. Schwab:
I have yet to find the man, however exalted his station, who did not do better work and put forth greater effort under a spirit of approval than under a spirit of criticism.

Good Luck Saturday!
Praise them, you might be surprised.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bait has been small, only about 4-5 inches and they have wanted bigger bait lately of 8-12 inches.

Have you ever thought some of these band people that they would be satisfied with 4-5 inches, even though you know that ulimately 8-12 is what they really want. Some just don't know it yet. This band has always had the small bait and alot has a taste for big bait. Just got to get the all to want the big bait.
We love ya mr.brady!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Mr. Brady was praising or critizing us in this post. I think he was just speaking fact that some of the players involved - whether it be students, parents, whoever - doesnt see the importance of what the band is doing. It is not just an after school activity to us. And its much more academic than anyone will ever know. We work hard and even when one person quits or doesn't show up it effects the entire performance. We are in a mess for Saturday with 5 holes and they will effect us overall. I'm just glad Mr. Brady knows how important it is to those of us who will be there no matter what.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the so-called "secrets of success" will not work unless you do. ~Author Unknown


I would take this quote over "Charles I am under investigation Schwab"

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second place is just the first place loser.
Dale Earnhardt

You've got to be closer to the edge than ever to win. That means sometimes you go over the edge, and I don't mean driving, either.
Dale Earnhardt

3:03 PM  
Blogger Cindy Pollard Hoogenboom said...

Hi there....
Just wanted you to know I think youre doing great, that the kids are doing great, and that the time will come for all to see what DFHS is really about. Just remember that change does not come easy to most...even when it is greatly needed! Just keep on teaching music and doing what you do best...teaching your students to love music and band. And remember that I love you a bunch!
Your wife,
Cindy

7:17 PM  
Blogger Cindy Pollard Hoogenboom said...

Oh...and thank you, TOM HENKE, for being the voice of reason......

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be a shame to deprive the kids from what they have worked so hard for. They will learn from their trials. Praising kids goes a long way! They will work harder for you if you spend more time praising and encouraging them.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, the truth hurts from time to time. I will not praise when there praise is not due. I don't get praised when I do what I am expected and required to do. Band is very similar to the real world like that.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home