Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Be Careful...

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it. Way back about 3 1/2 weeks ago, the student leaders and myself started to work on some goals for the year. You can look back to see them. The problem is that I will do what it takes to accomplish these goals. Every student also confirmed that they would do "what it takes". Well that was not the case today. It was pretty obvious that not much individual work took place over the weekend. The music was actually worse today than it was last Thursday. There is absolutely no secrets to being successful in a group. You must first be successful on your own. I use that question I have asked many times throughout my career. "How many of you think you play better with the entire band than you do by yourself?" Most of the time I get a lot of hands in the air. My response? "You are fooling yourself. You still miss just as many notes and rhythms as you do by yourself. You just can't hear them as well." The fact is that if the Dutch Fork band is accomplish its #1 goal of improving musical standards it must start with each individual. Until then it is just talk. The Dutch Fork band has more potential than probably any band in the entire state but then potential is not a judged caption on any scoring sheet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home