Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And now a guest blogger...

BY CINDY BRADY
Every once in awhile Mr. Brady lets me post an entry in regards to what I think about band. Being totally non-musical I can't really tell you about the technical things but...because I've been around the band world for so long, I can tell when a band looks and sounds good...or great...or phenomenal! Tonight I want to discuss two issues......

First the performance last night. All I can say is WOW. The choice of music was great, the drill is wonderful, and the marching was way ahead of where it should be this time of the year....I mean it is only the week after band camp!!! However, the thing that struck me most was the performance of the music. The playing was great....and in some places it was better than great. The students were blowing it out. But it wasn't just blowing hot air....the students were performing. The music had feeling and depth and the common observer - like me - could already "feel" what the music was all about. I know Mr. Brady keeps telling his students to follow his instructions and they will go far. I believe this too....and I bet if you ask the majority of his former students they would say the same thing. Now....I've heard that the morning rehearsal yesterday left a little to be desired and I did try to explain to Mr. Brady that the past weekend was the last weekend before school starts and that there had been a 3.5 day break since band camp. And regardless of what the determined band director thinks....you will have your "off" days. But....I felt a great sense of pride last night when I watched the band perform. I can tell how hard the students, staff, and director have been working and how much they have all accomplished in such a short amount of time. I feel very honored to be part of this family......

Now...the second issue I want to discuss is the fact that Mr. Brady can sometimes come across as "unapproachable". As his spouse, I can tell you that this is only because he can become somewhat overly focused. I had someone tell me last night that they were worried he wasn't having a good time or that he wasn't happy at Dutch Fork. I want the whole band world to know that this is the furthest thing from what he's feeling than you could ever imagine. He is so incredibly happy. And he thinks his students are amazing! You see...Mr. Brady wears his heart on his sleeve. Mr. Brady gets into a "zone". Mr. Brady is a perfectionist. These things could come across as faults to some, but its part of who he is. And its part of why he is such a good musician and a great band director. If you feel like you cannot approach him, just tell him that, and I feel certain he will snap back into that moment and give you his attention. Please know that he loves being part of this program and knowing all of the people involved with it.

Finally....my opinion...I think there are going to be a lot of surprised faces the first time folks around town see the Dutch Fork band. I don't think it will be long until we can all say...PHENOMENAL!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is nice to hear from Mr. Brady's wife! I'm glad you enjoyed the show! I'm a leader and I randomly leave comments on here just because I always have something to say about band.lol. but i am honestly willing to do whatever it takes to be the best i can be! I don't have to be raw-rawed up to do anything. Some bands have to be told they are amazing and doing so well even when they are not. I just have the "Umpft" in me to have the thought in my head that man i can do this and I can help others do it to if they are willing to listen and learn! Hopefully they will! I'm just hoping that my peers will be focused this week and not get off track.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home