Wednesday, August 23, 2006

You Think Band is...



"You think band is the most important class these kids have!"
This statement was made to me many years ago in a conference that I was in with another teacher. I was young. Real young. Only 24 I believe. The dispute was over a student that I had told must be at band practice or not march that Friday night at the football game. This student had "make up" work to do. Not because they had missed school due to illness but because they had not kept up with their own work. The student made up the work and actually made a higher grade in the class than he had originally. Why? Because they wanted to march that Friday night. This student is now at the University of South Carolina as a music major and has a scholarship. He plays saxophone.
Here is another one. "Mr. Brady I don't know if you are aware but xxxxx is our best defensive player from the middle school and we really need him to play on the varsity team. " My response, " That will be fine as long as he doesn't miss one one minute of band practice." This student is now at the University of South Carolina and is also receiveing a music scholarship. He plays trombone.
The students in my band may not ever remember who they sat next to in English or Math. They may not even remember who that teacher was, but they will remember who they marched beside, what their "number" was, and I hope who their band director was.
So what was my response to that teacher at my first conference as an adult in front of my principal back in 1995 when I was the youngest head band director in the state?
"I better think band is the most important class he has... I am the Band Director. "
To any of my students that ever wonder who your biggest supporter is, don't wonder. It is your band director. Now...GO PRACTICE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home