Thursday, July 15, 2010

What Makes You Happy?


I use to think that being one of the best and most recognized band directors in the state would make me happy. I will not say I don't like to win because I do. I won't say that getting high ratings at festival doesn't make me happy because it does. But what really makes me happy. Every time I come home, good day or bad day, there are things that come running to me. Ted and Henry always are happy to see me but the most important is Cindy. She has seen me lose when I should have and seen me lose when I shouldn't have but she is always in support of what I am trying to do. I do love band practice and rehearsal. I believe I will try to concentrate on that aspect more this year. Here are some things that make me happy:
  • My dogs' kisses
  • Watching the sun come up as I cast a line and knowing nobody else saw it exactly the same way I did
  • Cindy's smile when nobody else sees it
  • My mom and dad telling me they are proud of me
  • My garden and yard
  • A parent that tells me thank you for helping their child when nobody else is around
  • Hearing from an old student
  • Watching a really big fish swim away

None of these have much to do with winning or money. They just have a lot to do with enjoying life.

What really makes you happy?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Christian Folk said...

-Playing my euphonium

-Hearing professionals play euphonium

-Hearing from old band directors

-Making fun of awful euphonium vibrato

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Sarina Zimmer said...

-Reading

-Playing piano (and clarinet)

-Hearing back from people in high school

-Whenever I make a positive impact on someone's day

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home