Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Test Time!


I gave Symphonic Winds a test today and I have to say I was impressed with the level of achievement that the students obtained. Their test was on Second Suite in F by Gustav Holst, Movement 1. This is a substantial composition and is a staple in band literature. It is not easy. Here are how playing test work in my band. The students play a section of the assigned composition or the assigned etude individually in the class setting. I know! How can I do this?

1. They might get nervous.

2. They have to play in front of everybody.

3.They can't play as well by themselves as they can play with the entire group.

4. If they don't play well, won't it be embarrassing?

Here are my answers:

1. They might be nervous in a performance setting too. Shouldn't they be able to deal with this?

2. It is a performing art. Music is meant to be played for an audience in front of people.

3. They play just as bad or well with the group as they do by themselves. You just can't hear them as individual as well. All the wrong notes and rhythms are still there!

4. YES! But it also equally and perhaps more so rewarding when they play it perfectly in front of their peers. That is way more exciting than a good grade.

Is is realistic to think that they can play a composition of this level for the Winter Concert? Well of course it is! High expectations yield high results. Way to go students. I get to my job now which is to help the audience in a performance and my favorite part...to make music out of a bunch of paper. I can't do that until the tone, note, and rhythms are correct.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Another Wonderful example of what it takes to be a brady band! thanks brady for pushing them where they think they couldn't go!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Great stuff! I happened to be in the band room today. I didn't hear any of the tests, but the ensemble is getting better and better. Willing students and a dedicated teacher can accomplish so much! It is evident for sure. Hats off to you and the students!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home