Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Day / Inauguration Day

As I sit at home and watch it snow, I must comment on the event the will affect the entire world today. Barack Obama will take the oath as President of the United States today. This is the most powerful position in the world. This position has inherited even more power over the past few decades as We are truly the only super power in the world. I find it interesting to watch and read news from other countries and see how much they report on what We are doing. You will have a difficult time discovering my political views as I do not make them public. I don't think, as a teacher, I should. I know I have all the rights and privileges of any citizen of the United States but I also know that it is not my job to use my position to influence the views of those under my director or in my class. Many teachers make their political views and affiliations very public. I do not. But I will comment on a few things:
1. I have never seen a President that had so much support. Every body wants him to succeed. He has too. He comes into office with a war, a sliding economy and more stuff like global warming. I wish him all the best. But remember something, he is a man. He is just like all of us in that aspect. He is not a super hero. He will need help. Don't be too hard on him or put too much unrealistic expectation on him either. But as he said, his story would not even be possible in any other country in the world. Let us all give him a chance but let us all remember, we write our own stories and we all have work to do.
2. I am always amazed that We can change Presidents with little to no problems. We don't have to use military force to get the old one out. This is an amazing fact in itself. Even we Mr. Bush was finally given the win of the office, we just changed. No fighting, no tanks, no Army. Just faith in what we all have built.
3. The environment must become a major item as we progress to a world economy. It seems like everybody knows something has be done but nobody is willing to make it a priority. It's not just about places to fishing, hunt, and camp anymore. It's about all of us and everything like food and water now.
I hope everybody has a great snow day. I will spend mine cleaning fishing reels. Spring isn't really that far away but I love the snow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home