Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Getting Some Help

Today I had two upper level students from USC come out and help me with the band. They are both very good and highly recommended. One took the woodwinds to the orchestra and the other worked with the horns in our small ensemble room. I stayed in the band room and took the rest of the brass. It is amazing what being able to separate the section does to the level of instruction. I really think this will take our playing level to a totally different area. We will, of course, still rehearse as a group but being able to get the students some individual attention from an expert on their instrument is not only educational, it's fun too. Although I am very capable of teaching every instrument and section in the band, this will allow everybody to stay busy too. There are many times when what I am telling the trumpets just doesn't apply to the flutes. The band rehearses well and talking and distractions are not the norm but I just think we can get more taught and accomplished by working separately some of the time. I have always said "It's not my job to be the best at everything. It's my job to find who is." Hopefully the students will learn more and get some more enjoyment and playing time too. I think it will all be worth it when we get together too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww... the guy for the horns came right after I left lol. :P
Miss you Mr. Brady!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home