Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Classes

I teach 5 classes at Dutch Fork. Here they are with their descriptions:

Symphonic Winds: This is the top band class and they are great kids. There are 45 of them. What they lack in rhythmic interpretation they make up for with their musicianship. They are finally starting to laugh too.

Symphonic Band: Only 23 of them here but they are great. This is exactly the size a class like this should be to really learn some stuff. I am able give them plenty of attention (maybe too much if you ask them) and they are making great strides each class.
Percussive Arts: There are 18 of them and I enjoy teaching them and I think they are surprised that I do know a bit about percussion. After marching season, we are going to work a lot on counting and playing percussion ensembles.
Concert Band: This is my biggest challenge so far but today they were great. I actually am really glad to have this class. They are all non marchers but I think we will produce a great product and too will learn to enjoy playing music. There are 36 of them.
Freshman Success: What!!! This is not a typo. I teach a class of 22 freshmen about all kinds of things. If you know me at all, you know I love to tell stories and I tell a bunch in this class. We talk about college and jobs and just about anything. I thought I wouldn't like teaching this class but I do!
What do I miss? I miss my Colorguard class. I don't teach them at Dutch Fork. We have a certified Dance Teacher and she teaches them with the help of our guard instructor much better I ever could but I miss the fun we had in guard class. Next year I plan to add a Jazz Band class too. So I get to teach 144 students at Dutch Fork this year. You can bet the numbers will go up but I am really happy to have this many students to help me each day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your guard class misses you as well... we were talking about how we missed you today in fact lol we miss you good luck. Kenzie. never trade what you want for the moment for what you want the most.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we miss you too!!
colorguard class isn't the same...and me and Kenzie were talking about it today. lol

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ladies! Please remember the number 1 reason to be in band...You like doing the activity. Keep in touch and best of wishes for you and your season.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home