Monday, March 24, 2008

Alexander Supertramp


So Cindy and I watched a movie this weekend. It is named "Into the Wild". It was directed by Senn Penn. Of course, Senn Penn was also Jeff Spicoli which leads to quite a bit of confusion about how he got to where he is. He was also married to Madonna for a while. Wow! talk about changes. Any way, I like Senn Penn and really like his movies. His political views...well you can make your own judgement on that. This movie is incredible but what makes it even more incredible is the fact that it is real. It is based and actually follows almost a book written by Jon Krakauer. I had never heard of this story so naturally I became very interested. Alexander Supertramp was self made up name of Christopher McCandless. You really owe it to yourself to find out more about this young man. You can read all you want about him on your own but it does lend itself to some very insightful thought if you so desire. To go out into the Alaskan wilderness and fend for yourself would be something. I myself have spent some time in the Linville Gorge. I am not going to lie. I took as much stuff with me as I could carry and I went with two other people too. Let's not go crazy trying to find ourselves. I must have food but I digress. There is something about going someplace inaccessible that lets you think a bit more clear. I admire Chris's thoughts and courage but then again I think he was pretty stupid in some ways too. For me the ultimate "find yourself" get away would have to be on a deserted island in the Florida Keys with some fishing gear, a knife, and some shelter. I think I would fine. I would not stay long though I would miss Cindy and the Boyz but it would be a great get away for about a week. The picture is the last one of Chris. He actually looks pretty happy. I think he found what he was looking for, too bad he never got to share it with others.
"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greather joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun." -- Chris McCandless

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home