Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Power of a Great Band

OK. I will admit it. I was in a pretty crappy mood today at the start of Symphonic Band (oh wait or was is Winds? Doesn't matter. Band is Band is Band!). But anyway, there were somethings going on. I had found out some more students might not be with us in the spring semester. It hurts me. Always does...always will. Any way, I stuck to my plan and that was to work on a new composition. This thing isn't easy. They chewed it up and threw it back to me. I was surprised to see them really play a grade 5 composition with not only the correct math (notes and rhythms) but also the real music. I have to say that the highlight was my new horn player. He has played trumpet but switched to mellophone for marching band and has been working on horn for just a while. Well today he showed that he isn't just a band kid. He is a musician and a good one at that. The whole band clapped for him. Sometimes that is all it takes. Maybe he didn't make region band but he did something that so many people can not say they ever accomplished. He didn't give up. So I left band today in a totally different mood than I started. I wonder how many other students did too. Here is another question. How many students and teachers get to have this feeling and chance in their other classes? I bet not too many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home