Sunday, October 08, 2006

Smooth as Glass!

That is what happened yesterday! We were ready and had done the work, and it all came together at a major competition. No we did not hide in the woods of South Carolina's band competitions yesterday. We went to the toughest one with the toughest judges we could find and we WON IT ALL! And more. We scored higher than some of the best band programs in the state even though they were later in the day than us! (Notice I did not say BEAT! We scored higher on this day). Here is another cool thing. All the directors were really nice to each other and even congratulated each other on their accomplishments. Something really cool happened too. There was a judge's critique. We got to talk to the judges. I can not tell you how impressed I was with the Wando band director for arranging this. Not only did these give us scores, they had to tell us why! This may have been the best non BOA/DCI show I have been to (maybe better).
Now here is something really cool that happened. My wife was with me all day. From beginning to end. I don't know many women that would do what she did yesterday. And to top it off, she went with me to the judge's critique as a full member of my staff. Why not? She is a full member of my staff and always will be. It is strange that she gets this band stuff so right. She even made comments to the judges that were thought full and well thought out. I was impressed and really happy to have her at my side all day.
My booster club is amazing, and here is the thing. They are getting better each week! When I say things were smooth as glass, I mean especially them. They were awesome! I hope they don't have tummy aches from their dinner!
Now about the stars of the day. The students! They were absolutely great. They win and lose the same way. With class. I don't know if I have ever been so touched as to know they won it all but their question was..."Did we do good?" I knew they liked me to say they were doing well but yesterday was something new. They wanted me to tell them they were good. They were not good...They were great and a step above the rest! I congratulate each one of them. I was so proud to be their director as I have been for a long time. I am not just glad we won but also in the way we did it...Our Way! We put music first! And it worked.
I don't know what the next two weeks hold for us, but I know we will work as hard as possible to make state but what is the goal? Shouldn't something be said for a group that works so well together and has fun while doing it? I think we have made one goal for sure.
We have become a family of success. Not success that anybody else has to tell us about. We won before we ever got on the buses yesterday.
Thank you to everybody that made things a success yesterday. Live it up today, because tomorrow...Well you know. Don't you? Back to work! But for today we should walk a little taller and talk at little louder because WE EARNED IT!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, Brady, no stomach here today! I was very impressed with yesterday too, and enjoyed seeing the kids reach success. (They were a proud bunch)
This band has so much support, and it does get better and better each week. Congrats to the band!!!

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also congrats to the staff, and of course, Cindy for her wonderful support!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man!......they have good seafood in Charleston!! Way to go band, your hard work and dedication is paying off!!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes i agree! thanks to all the staff and booster club yall guys are great we are improving ALOT!!! thanks!!!!!

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home