Thursday, June 30, 2011

Teaching Music Theory (and where my summer has been spent)



I have just recently returned from my AP Music Theory class at Winthrop. I really enjoyed seeing my school but I sure did miss home. Any way, I spent a few weeks talking about and learning about teaching AP Music Theory. What did I learn most? Simple...I don't teach music theory like most other teachers. I teach it from a composition view point. Many other teach it from an aural skills and ear training view point. Which is correct? I don't really know. I do know that my music theory class went from 14 students to 40 in one year so I guess somebody liked how I taught the class.


Why teach composition? Well if you look at the hierarchy of musical understanding this is it:


1. Listening to music

2. Playing music

3. Analyzing music

4. Composing music


So I guess I strive to teach to the upper end of musical understanding. Shouldn't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home