Saturday, February 14, 2009

My thoughts on the race tomorrow



If you know me at all, you know I am huge NASCAR fan. It is different than it was 15 years ago when I really started going to a bunch of races but I still love it. I still miss Dale every race too. I think NASCAR has missed the boat on a few things but it still gets my attention every Sunday. What have they missed? It's not really the new Car of Tomorrow as the safety issues certainly needed to be addressed but it is the set up that they require the teams to use. They ran the twin races Thursday and, as predicted, they were filled with wrecks. I also watched the shootout last Saturday and it too was filled with cautions. Why is the question? Well it is not because they are bumping into each other and doing it themselves like they use too. It is because they simply can not keep the back end of the car on the track. Once they get up to about 190 mph the back end skips and bounces all over the place. The solution? Softer shock packages. The required suspensions are just too tight. Any way my predictions for tomorrow's race?


1. Lot's of multiple car wrecks early in the race. Remember we have seen three races so far and they have all be filled with cautions but there were only 28 cars on the track too. Tomorrow 43 will start. Watch out.


2. The race will be good all day. The drivers just simply will not lift as was NASCAR's hope with the required set up. They will push the pedal to the floor all day. The problem with that? The back ends will bounce and they will wreck.


3. Expect lots of equipment failure late in the race. The bouncing won't help this and neither will the 8400 rpm's they will be running. With the cautions, the engines will be going up and down in rpm's all day. Not good for them at all.


4. The winner? Who knows. I would bet Jeff Gordon has a good chance. He will be my pick even though I don't pull for him. I would love to see Junior in the winners circle but don't bet on it.


Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home