Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Exams!

Well I almost finished giving exams for the 1st semester. Only the concert band remains. I have to say that I am baffled by some the things I have heard. Yesterday was perhaps the worst exam I have heard in my teaching career while today was a drastic improvement. It still amazes me at some of the things I hear from students though. One was "I practiced last night". Wow! I guess this students found out that you can't cram for a band exam. The only way to make sure you get a good grade is to start early and practice consistently. This sounds like a good habit to develop. Don't you think? Don't wait until the last minute to do important tasks or you might just fail. Once again band is life and life is band. Does life imitate Art or does Art imitate life. I think it is a bit of both. Some students will find out there are other letters in the word band beside B and A. There is a big ole' D right at the end.
The fun keeps coming though. Tomorrow the Symphonic Winds will play for the student body. One thing is for sure. If you ever get in rut being a band director, just wait a day or so. Something will get your attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home