Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ready to Go! (I think!)


Today was a day of preparation. I and the new assistant band director spent the morning lining the practice field for rookie camp and band camp. It took about 3 1/2 hours but that was good compared to last years 6 hours. We were somewhat smart last year and put 10" nails in the ground at the yardlines and hashes so it was much easier this year.

I am excited and nervous about tomorrow. This year holds so much promise and potential I am afraid to get my hopes up. Last year was a true surprise that things came together like they did. I mean we were 1/3 rookies last year. This year should be the payoff year for a lot work. I really don't think one person will not know what they are in for this year. People will know how I operate and what I expect. I really think we may show the state something new and inventive this year. Sure we could do the same type of stuff we did last year but that got us second in 2A. Only by changing and trying new things will we see if we have what it takes in 3A and at BOA. I would love more than just about anything to hear:


"Now joining us in Finals competition at Bands of America the Swansea High School Tiger Marching Band!"


We will not be the biggest band in 3A this year, but that has never been my goal. I would love to show many in South Carolina that you don't have to have the most numbers, just the most desire and heart to be the best. My short time at Swansea has made me realize a few things about band and myself. It is not about how big your band room is or how much money your students have to spend on instruments. It is not about how many staff members you can afford to hire for camp or how much you spend on your show. It is not about "stuff". It is about how badly you want something and about how much you are willing to sacrifice to get it. It is about how you feel when you finally win lower state and look back to see your band and attention just like always. It is about just liking what you are doing and who you are doing it with. We have a long road ahead of us but it is the journey that is the most fun!


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those Shirts look Nice and I agree that its not about size its about quailty. Size Means nothing if its Dirty. But I cant wait to get this thing on the road. BOA Finals sounds nice we will work hard to get to that

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the first time, a blog made me cry. Winning lower state and being totally contained, and seeing you jump up and down... It was the most rewarding experience of my life. Thank you Mr. Brady.

--Jehle

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im going to have to agree with jehle on this one..

it was so hard to sit still when they began announcing who would make it to state and when we won .

we all just stood there.. kind of in shock

and it seemed that you jumping up and down with that huge grin on your face was our signal to go crazy..

extremely rewarding.. hope to win both state and lower state this year.. and every other thing we do.. thanks so much.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home