Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Tragedy at Virginia Tech

I work in schools. That is a fact. I have been in a school since I was three years old. That means I have been in them and around them for about 33 years. To see actions such as those that occurred yesterday at Virginia Tech are terrible to me. It brings back memories to April 20, 1999 at Columbine High School in Colorado. You will all watch the news and see more information than I can certainly give to you about the tragedy so I will not comment on it except to say I am very saddened of everyone that was affected by yesterday including the students, the families, the faculty, staff, and administration. There will be much said in the next few days about what could have been done better. The truth is that nothing could have stopped the events.

I would like to just comment on why the arts are important to all people and why I feel they are not extra-curricular or non-academic. The most important aspect of having the arts available, encouraged, and yes maybe even required is that they offer humans a chance for self expression in a positive and beautiful way. In our world today, things are more complex than ever. Technology is advancing so fast and so are the expectations and pressures that are applied to students. What society seems to have forgotten is that people still need an outlet of which to express themselves. The arts allow these outlets to students. What is better to act out in hurtful way towards others or to have the capability to express oneself with something such as music, dance, or visual arts?

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin Cocklin said...

Jon,
This needs to be reprinted in The State Newspaper. Consider that, won't you please? Robin Cocklin

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with the guy above this comment.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to be agree with all of what you wrote. I do agree that in today's society, there are so many more pressures and expectations, and the kids do need an outlet, and the arts are a beautiful way to allow that. Let's hope that one day society will wake up and do the right thing. I only hope that it happens soon, before a worse tragedy occurs.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home