Monday, April 16, 2007

Retention of Students

This topic goes right alone with recruitment. How do you keep students in band once you have recruited them? There are few things that directors can do to help this. I try to make the students feel important although they may not be able to immediately see this. I try sure everybody knows I want them to be with us. One of the worst statements a director of any leader can make is "If you don't want to be here, then go home!" Here's the truth. If they didn't want to be there, the won't be. I also try not to have "favorites". This also goes along with being fair all the students. My expectations are pretty clear and I hold everybody to them.
One of the primary reasons I hear about older students quiting band is part time jobs. These students should realize that they have the rest of their lives to work. Why not be a high school student for a few more years? I have also experienced students quit band when they acquire a boyfriend or girlfriend that is not in band. I can't offer much help here because every high school student now thinks I was born at least 30 years old and couldn't possibly remember being in high school. Parents can certainly be one of the best tools in the retention of band students. I have often heard "they just said they don't want to be in band anymore." Hey, I say that at least once a week and my wife makes me go back! But seriously, parents that show to their children that they think band is important can be extremely helpful. I have known many, many band students that were told they will at least have to try band and many times these turn out to some of our most successful band students.
The entire band suffers when we lose even one student but when we lose an experienced veteran it hurts us most. We are not only losing them and their abilities but also the influence that they have and may have in the future on the young students. I think it is the older students obligation to help the younger ones by not only showing them the ropes of playing and marching techniques but also to show them that band is not just something to do for a year or two.
In my travels, I encounter a lot of different people as I have interests that are varied such as fishing, NASCAR, comic books, and gardening. I can always tell if somebody was in band because when they find out I am a band director their eyes light up and it is immediately apparent that they too were a band dork. Almost with out exception when somebody tells me they quit after a year or even their senior year, they almost always say they regret it still. You can't just quit band. It will be a part of you forever whether you realize it or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home